This online Algebra Basic Skills Mastery [ABSM] course helps students anchor a range of basic Algebra skills - Pathway2C uniquely names some of these basic skills. Anchor means identify, learn, and master basic Algebra skills. Once students anchor a basic skill, they rarely second guess their knowledge or understanding of that basic skill. Reduction in the constant second guessing, reduces Math anxiety too. Also, anchoring helps students see patterns throughout Algebra across different processes, procedures and vocabulary usage. After the course, students will perform better, be more confident (competent), learn a transferable skill, and better pinpoint how and why they make mistakes.
Identifying, Learning, and Mastering basic Algebra skills. Mastering basic Algebra skills leads to proficiency and procedural fluency.
This first version of the ABSM online course will target sophomores in high school (public, private, and home-schooled) through sophomores in colleges.
Anxiety Reduction Strategy
As students focus on learning efforts to master basic skills, they are less likely to be distracted by math anxiety.
- Identify and learn basic Algebra skills
- Obtain an Anchoring Mindset (mastering basic skills)
- Reduce second guessing with the Anchoring Mindset
- See patterns more easily across Algebra concepts, processes, and procedures.
- Recognize similar role of the anchoring mindset to other disciplines and real-world problems
- Become proficient and procedurally fluent problem solvers.
- Identify, learn, and master basic Algebra skills
- Problem-solve and think with increased precision.
- Approach and solve problems with reduced anxiety.
- Learn a transferable skill applicable to other disciplines.
- Use the Anchoring Mindset to their advantage.
- Express ideas and concept in appropriate context,
ALGEBRA BASIC SKILLS
- Zero Effect(s)
- Math GPS™
- 50% Memory Rule(s)
- Speaking (leads to thinking) in complete thoughts not words or fragments.
- Vocabulary Management - Shift to non-temporal and non-emotional terms.
- Vocabulary Management - “Baseline” Concept Vocabulary Focus
- How to add and subtract integers
- How to add and subtract fractions
- Percentage Problems Rules
- Mathematical Order of Operations
- Nomenclature - naming of formulas
- How to read formulas as complete statements
- Same operations performed on numbers & variables.
- Equation Integrity
- Solving Equations & Inequalities
- LHS/RHS Equalities Rules
- Rational Expressions (fractions)
- And more.
In future, I plan to create online courses for specific groups like nontraditional students. Each group has specific learning support and encouragement needs. I plan to address those needs to overcome math anxiety.
Author & Facilitator
Avery Austin has BS/MS degrees in physics, 30+ years tutoring experience, 6 years teaching experience, 15+ years STEM and research experience, and 8-year training academic support staff experience. From years of teaching, training, and coaching students, he conveys ideas and concepts in an engaging, effective, and efficient way. As a first-generation college graduate, he approaches training from a practical, relevant, and relatable point of view. By example, he shows participants how to shift the focus to learning, learning efforts, and mindsets that support learning. His commitment to excellence (competence) and enthusiastic coaching style makes for an unforgettable professional development experience.